I'm sorry Nick, that doesn't make sense to me. If what the article says is actually true (i.e. that it's less fun to drive a fast car slowly than it is to drive a slow car fast) AND if you agree with that proposition, how do you square that with what you're saying? (i.e. that an 'upper end 911' suffers from this problem but that a Ferrari doesn't).

Surely, by this reasoning, both the F430 and the GT2 should suffer from the same problem?

But if your view that the Ferrari doesn't suffer from this problem (whereas the GT2 does) is indeed correct, then you're actually disagreeing implicitly with the 'truism' stated in the article.

I personally think the so called 'truism' is not actually an absolute rule. So it isn't really a truism after all! Rather, it's a trend one may find on a case by case basis.

It all just makes me think the following: I certainly believe you enjoy your Ferrari at low speeds because you enjoy the 'Ferrari experience' (which is a combination of sounds and sensations). But, at low speed, all that implies to me is that the exhaust noise and engine sound are what are actually thrilling you at low speed. The exhaust sound (and to a certain extent the engine sound) in modern cars is largely tuned (i.e. manufactured) to sound that way.

That being the case, why not simply listen to sound files of your F430 on your PC? (Sorry, couldn't resist a little joke!)

But my point is nonetheless a serious one i.e. that in today's speed limited motoring on imperfect roads, driving is a sensation that is mostly manufactured to please within certain parameters. It's only on a track (which for most is an unfamiliar environment) that what a car is actually capable of can be fully experienced. How many people actually explore those limits?