nberry:

Yes they are. They are for the manufacturers benefit and not the consumer. 

Christian, this car is a lease. Even if you buy into MB’s bs about break in procedures why do you let them handcuff you with your car. What do you care if from a longevity concern you need to follow the break in procedures?

In this case, the break-in serves two important purposes: The rear axle differential is very sensitive and needs to be broken-in properly because of the massive torque figure, same goes to the MCT gearbox (one reason Mercedes uses the MCT and not a DCT system). Advantage of proper break-in: Basically no drivetrain issues during the lifetime of the car. 

The second break-in reason is...engine power. I know it sounds ridiculous in the year 2018 but according to AMG engineers, this engine is sensitive to proper break-in. This could be of course BS but I rather drive carefully for 1500 km than risk having a less powerful engine. Smiley I am thinking of putting my car on a dyno when I hit 10000 km anyway, just for fun. This claim (engine power, proper break-in) is very strong in the AMG community, so I will not ignore it.

I don't care anymore anyway, my car already has 1800 km. Smiley Drove from Munich to Frankfurt with my son, we really enjoyed ourselves, listened to music, did some bonding, a little road trip as he said. Was fun and 800 km were done. The last 200 km, before hitting 1500 km, I did at night on the Autobahn. This is where I learned how good the multi beam light is, very nice and working very precisely. 

Next stop: 3000 km...by next week end.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)