Quote:
The Groom said:
You've got to be kidding. The 928 was a landmark (it's the car that got me addicted to Porsche in the first place), but your refusal to acknowledge the 911 is ridiculous.

Even though the 928 was the superior vehicle, even though Porsche management wanted to phase out the obsolete and costly 911, customers kept buying the latter because the 911 was and remains the iconic Porsche.

They kept buying the 911 because the 928 was too pricey for most. That would be like saying that today most prefer a C2 over a TT or GT2/3. I would be willing to bet that if 997tt were the same sticker price as 997c2 the TT would outsell the c2.

I didn't want to write a big long response just the distilled version.

Of course the 911 is a great part of Porsche, and since the demise of the 928 and Le Mans domination, IT IS PORSCHE. But we are talking about the image of Porsche, as the top maker of quality high performance luxury cars.

That image was created by the 928 not the 911's that came before it. The 928 program was a big step-up for Porsche in engineering, quality, design, everything. The 1980's were Porsche's heyday. Dominating endurance cars and dominating the luxury sports car market. Selling 5000 high priced, high performance 928's per year when lambo sold a couple hundred countach/jalpa of questionable quality and ferrari sold a few more of the brand new TR's.

Not only was the 928 of a superior engineering and build quality to everything else on the market, but it sold in what was massive numbers given its price tag.

The original 911 turbo gets some credit too. It wasn't until the 997 that the 911 series finally caught up to the standard set by the 928. The 997 is a great car!

I was in Porsche showrooms back then, I have driven most generations of 911, I am just saying if money grew on trees 928's would have sold even more and only the most dedicated track racer would have chosen 911 over 928. btw most of the porsche managers including Ferry drove 928's.