Carlos from Spain:
lukestern:
Carlos from Spain:
lukestern:

"Tesla dual motor, all-wheel drive performance Model 3: 3.5 sec 0-60mph 155 mph Top Speed 310 mile Range"

"Cost of all options, wheels, paint, etc is included (apart from Autopilot). Cost is $78k. About same as BMW M3, but 15% quicker & with better handling. Will beat anything in its class on the track."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/998085655958769665

He lost me when he overreached and said better handling than a M3 Smiley  ... handling is not traction on wet or skipad numbers...don't think he knows what handling is...

Seriously, regardless of that desperate plug comparing a model3 to an M3, I think the dual motor AWD is a good move, cost little R&D investment to do it and yields another new Model3 that may appeal to more people, like those that want AWD for winter, etc.

He's a bit provocative with his statements as always, but that we know by now Smiley.  Let's wait and see how this turns out. It might actually be quite quick around the track. There are a lot of things that suggest that it will be capable of maintaining high power output for a long period of time due to different battery tech/cooling, silicon carbide in the inverters and other motors.

True, but even if it is fast around a track it doesn't mean it handles better when it does it in virtue of HP/torque, a Cayenne Turbo may be faster around a track than a Boxster but it doesn't handle better nor does it compare dynamically, this one is going to an even heavier car than the normal Model3 for example, the advantage is that its going have more power and its going to be better at laying that power on the ground. Its going to handle better than the regular Model3 but that is it, its still a Model3 by Tesla.

Like I said, its a good move but comparing handling to an M3 is kind of insulting the intelligence of anyone that has a minimum of knowledge about sportscars and handling... then again that is not his target audience either so I guess he can get away with such statements... kind of like what some politicians say to their voters... But there is no need to go there by Musk, handling better than an M3 is not the purpose of this car, it has other advatages over the regular Model3, he should focus on those without needing to resort to hyperbole and exaggerations, does more harm than good, makes him loose even more credibility.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I fully agree with all that Carlos Smiley

The provocative part of Musks tweets is a bit too much and Tesla would probably benefit if he chill down a bit. I like Tesla, but Musks tweets and some of the things he over promises - not so much. The Model 3 will sell on it's own merits and should not be compared with a particular car. That comparison should (if relevant) be done by those who review the car, not by Musk. Reason for this statement is probably just a response to the "Tesla killer" headlines and statements that has been made from other car manufacturers. It is of course still silly.

If it however was me that had to choose I'd pick the Model 3 performance over the BMW M3 without a blink, but that is for many other reasons weighting pros and cons with the two different products. I would make this choice fully aware of that the BMW is the much better cornering machine having a chassis that has been tweaked and developed over many decades.