d997h:

quote...But these carbon discs are extremely durable, basically zero wear...

That's interesting since most guys tracking their cars in the German Porsche club sport series do (a) not specc their cars with PCCBs or (b) if these come standard (as with the Turbo S) they replace it with ordinary steel discs. Most worrying is not the ordinary wear and tear but the damage from debris / little stones picked up on the track getting between the rotor and the pads...

By the way, I spent a day in Hockenheim yesterday, had a lot of fun, brilliant weather, saw a lot of GT3 RSs (it seems that the ratio of GT3s to GT3 RS is 1:4), of all the guys participating there were only 2 with PCCBs...

Yeah no, when I spec-ed my old .1 GT3RS, per common beliefs, I chose steel brakes cause I planned on tracking it heavily and steel is cheaper to replace, plus there are much more aggressive pads for steel brakes.

I was told these carbon discs are so hard, stones that are trapped will be grinned to dust and no damage to the rotor. The only danger is that the clearance between the rotor and the wheels are so tight, the peddles caught will score the wheel barrels and compromise the integrity of the wheel itself. 

I think the rotors were replaced around 6000km if my memory is correct, so the current set has been used for 10,000km with about 800km track miles, and they have no measurable wear on them.

--