RC:
lukestern:
Nah, think the only reason is that they want to "lock-in" the buyers already so that they don't end up buying something else. Having put down 2k feels that you are more tied in to the purchase than just having a number in the general queue.

Seriously? People want a 100k+ car and care about 2k? Smiley I doubt this is the strategy behind Porsche's decision. Porsche needs to know how many people are seriously interested in the car, it is not a car they can build from "standard" parts from suppliers, this car needs serious planning ahead of production.

Of course the money is not the thing here. But even if it is a small sum, it moves you a little bit closer to order one instead of just dropping an e-mail to the dealership asking them to put you in line. It's a similar ratio to the Tesla 3 where the deposit is 1k for a car that cost half as much.

Actually, it will not matter how many Mission-E Porsche produce, they will sell everything that will jump out of the factory. 20-30k cars annually is way too little. The car will be in higher demand than that and I think Porsche underestimate that. At least that is the official version. They probably can't source enough batteries to increase the production. That's the limitation they are facing.

I hope you are right (and Porsche as well) but I am still skeptical. There just isn't that "I badly want an EV" vibe in Germany right now, also not in other parts in Europe (with the exception of Norway maybe). US? Maybe but still, not seeing it. We'll see but I'm not convinced yet.

I think you will be in for a surprise. Things will happen faster than you can imagine.
We have a completely different view on this, that I know. But time will tell how it turn out in 2020 and the coming 5 years. I seriously think the difficult cars to sell at that point is Panamera and similar. The demand will plummet if Porsche comes up with a great product with the Mission-E, like I really hope they do.

I think one reason for not having introduced the Cayenne E-hybrid already (it is delayed and should have been officially introduced already in March). They can't source enough batteries and the demand for the Panamera versions of the E-hybrid has been much higher than expected. For the Cayenne the figure will probably be even higher.

Possible...  Panamera hybrid versions are a rare breed in Germany, maybe not so in other countries? Smiley Also, after the Sport Auto Turbo S review (Panamera), I doubt that people will stay in line for this car. Smiley Actually, it consumes more than my E63 S Smiley and performance is basically the same. Oh boy...

60% of Panamera sales are hybrids. I've heard that it is up to 80% in some Scandinavian countries and 90% in Belgium according to this article.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-07/porsche-s-hybrid-a-hit-as-buyers-flock-to-plug-in-panamera

The Turbo S is not the big seller of course, the normal 4 is. And I fully agree that the consumption is nuts. But people buy it for tax brakes and ability to ride smooth and pollution free in city centers.