Quote:
SoCal Alan said:
Quote:
Jim48 said:
Can you imagine the quality of cars coming out of Europe if both France, the UK, and Italy also ended speed limits on most portions of their super-highways? That type of action would get the politicians in the U.S. to: 1) require that better interstate highways are built in the U.S; 2) that speed limits, for those in the left lane, be unlimited on interstate highways; and, 3) that drivers get a special license to enable them to travel at the higher unlimited speeds legally in the left lane (that is, applying - if I remember my German correctly, "recht-fahren," to U.S. interstate highways). The latter would provide loads of work for folks in building better U.S. roads and a superior internal, land-based, transportation system. And it would ultimately lead to vastly improved U.S. - made cars, as U.S. manufacturers would have to produce better-performing cars to survive.

I've always dreamed of certain sections of I-5 in California to have unlimited speed limits (between SAC and the grapevine.

But more to your point, with an interstate system which allows unlimited speeds, it can also open up more of the US as far as accessibility is concerned. Driving through Nebraska and Wyoming on I-80 is boring. And I vow never to do it again, but would be interested in seeing more of the U.S. via automobile if unlimited interstates were available.

I drove from SD to SF via the I-5. That sucked .