Carlos from Spain:

I don't know, personally to me it doesn't make sense to give this car a complete overhaul, either you keep making the old one with small evolutions or stop making it altogether, but making a new modern version that "looks" like the old one just doesn't do it for me, it doesn't have the quirks and brute character of the old one which is what made it appealing in spite of being outdated. Its like putting a quartz movement on a classic automatic swiss watch. It may keep better time, more reliable, less maintenance, etc but looses it's appeal. Just my personal opinion but if I were in the market for a G, I would buy one of the outgoing AMG version and hold on to it.

I don't follow. If I remember correctly, the new one is on average better both on-road and off-road. It's not like the compromised the car's off-road abilities. It is still improved off-road. I don't think anyone would want a worse off-road experience...

I mean, I guess they could have made it even worse on-road and even better off-road, but that would probably have no buyers at all since there are much better choices for true off-road vehicles.

I think this vehicle is almost perfect -- way better interior, still looks how people like, still half-way decent for modest off-road stuff, and just better on-road. Only thing it's missing is a EV powertrain ;)