I used to do calculations when I owned a Honda CRX. I wanted to prove what a great deal I was getting - and a great deal it was! As I moved into finer cars, I just blew off worrying about the money. I paid $80k (+/-). I am thinking I just pissed that money away. No other way to look at it. I don't know how long I am keeping the car. When I sell (hopefully never), I will get what I can get. Porsche is just about pissing money away. No one here should be surprised at the cost of ownership.

Am I going to feel good if I can get my cost to $0.80/mi or am I going to feel bad if it was $1.50?

There are obvious ways to minimize your cost. Buy a 4 yr old Boxster! And yeah, it wouldn't be really bad to own a Boxster. But I wanted a 911. And I could have saved money buying a 996 or a used 997. But, I wanted a new one - I want to maybe keep my car a very long time. I wanted to break my car in - the way I thought it should be broken in. I read some of the stories here about engine failures and such. I got to think that some of y'all are driving your cars way to hard - which could be contributing to some of these failures. I mean no offense, but I really would not like to own some of the cars here after the way that some describe their daily use.

My cost $80k. All down the drain!