I am seriously considering getting off the 987 deposit list at my dealer and instead concentrating on buying either a 1986 - 1988 911 Cabriolet, or a 1996 - 1997 993 Cabriolet. I have found nice examples of each priced below the guidelines listed in Excellence, (a very clean 86 with 32000 miles for around $18,000 USD, or an almost new looking 1996 C2 993 Cabriolet with 22000 miles for around $40.000 USD) and I am thinking that if I want a new Boxster later, I can always order one after the new wears off for less than the MSRP I would be paying now.

Has anyone who has owned either or both of these models offer any opinions on my tentative plans?? My breif impressions are that the 1986 911 is more of an antique auto at this time, entirely enjoyable and able to be modified to still be a very fast auto, while the 993 is very similar to the 996 in general feel, although maintaining the air cooled heritage. There are other possibilities including an attractive 86 wide body cabriolet, but it is a euro car individually imported into the US and I am unsure of how much work was needed to be done to the cars at that time so it's more of an unknown quantity.

It's not terribly impoirant to me that the car be an extremely capable track car as I have an Elise on order that will probably fulfill most of that requirement.

Thanks in advance for any opinions offered.