When I finally got rid of my 991.1 Turbo S and ordered a 991.1 Carrera 4 GTS Convertible instead, I was a very happy person because I got bored of the Turbo S sound and the annoying turbo lag and I was looking forward to the mesmerizing 991.1 GTS n/a sound, even at the cost of a much worse performance.

My first 991.2 Carrera S test-drive left me a bit confused because the car wasn't as bad as I thought. Yes, there still was a turbo lag but the sound was OK (and definitely much better than the sound of my former Turbo S) and the traction issues, there weren't many, were manageable. Still, I preferred the 991.1 at that time because of the better throttle/engine response and the nicer sound.

A short while ago, my dealer proposed a deal I couldn't refuse, probably also because the 991.1 GTS models are still in high demand but also because the 992 is coming next year and dealers also need to make deals before the new year approaches, quotas and all. Not that I really cared, I was happy to get such a good deal.

QUGTS1.jpg

Car is actually equipped with black LED lights but they look lighter here than they are because of the ceiling lights.

My dealer wasn't sure I actually want this deal because it would also mean saying good-bye to that fantastic n/a sound and throttle/engine response but I already have a fantastic n/a engine car, my R8 V10 Plus and why should I lie, I just wanted to try something new, even if I already knew the 991.2...at least this is what I thought (and I was wrong).

The 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet I got is nicely specced, including rear wheel steering (to be honest, without RWS, I wouldn't have taken this car). It also has the Sport Design package, which is basically only a differently shaped rear wing (see photo). It looks nice (and a bit cool) but I'm not sure most people even notice the difference.

QIMG_0197.jpg

The Alcantara interior has been changed vs the 991.1 GTS models, it has a nicer design and looks better in my opinion. It is a matter of taste of course but I like it a lot.

QIMG_0186.jpg

QIMG_0205.jpg

Seat backs are also leather, which is a must in a convertible because the usual silver plastic back doesn't look nice.

The new driving mode selector is something I needed to get used to but the learning curve isn't steep, you get used to it after a couple of minutes. Tops. The Sport Response button is a nice feature, not sure how much it improves performance (I wish a car magazine would have done some proper testing on it) but I guess you get an overboost (turbo chargers) as well for 20 seconds, which could definitely be nice when you need some extra power. Since the car is still in the break-in period, I didn't really have the chance to fully use it.

QIMG_0180.jpg

As always, the Alcantara steering wheel is and feels nice but I wish Porsche would make it a tiny bit thicker. Smiley

I am also glad Porsche chose to add a turbo boost gauge to the Carrera models, some manufacturers, like Mercedes, usually use only a simplified boost gauge without any numbers, which is annoying.

Speaking of the steering: The 991.2 Carrera GTS I got has the Power Steering Plus. I'm still not convinced I like it because even in Sport and Sport+ modes, the steering feels a bit too light in my opinion. You get used to it though and the steering precision doesn't suffer, it is very very good.

The chassis has a good setup but surprisingly, in sport mode, it feels less comfortable than my R8 V10 Plus chassis. Weird. Also, there is some side roll (my former 991.1 C4 GTS had PDCC, which did wonders in tight curves) but it is acceptable and may also be a little bit related to the winter tires I am driving right now (Pirelli Sottozero Winter N0).

The Pirelli winter tires work well with the 991.2 GTS, they offer enough traction and grip for the turbo power, which is surprising. I expected some serious traction issues but even on snow, we had some snow yesterday afternoon, the tires were excellent. For a RWD car, amazing.

The new biturbo Boxer engine is a treat I have to admit. It is powerful, almost feels like a small Turbo S but without that punch after you pass a certain rev figure. The power output and boost buildup is pretty linear and believe it or not, you actually need to rev high to achieve a proper performance. The massive torque is there, no doubt and it feels more powerful than the n/a engine in the 991.1 GTS but in reality, you need to rev high(er) to achieve a good performance. This is no torque monster like the Turbo S, where you get suddenly a hit in the back and the car rockets forward.

Actually, I like this setup a lot because it isn't your typical turbo charge engined feel but unfortunately, the engine still shows some serious turbo lag, especially in normal mode but also in Sport mode.  Once you keep the rev figure above 4000 rpm, the turbo lag is barely noticeable. 

Also, for the first time, I actually enjoy shifting manually again with PDK in a 911. PDK in the 991.2 works excellent, very fast, much better than in my former 991.1 GTS to my surprise. I also like the fact that it has now the manual shifting scheme (shifting lever) of the GT models. Forward shifts down and backwards shifts up. Perfect! Believe it or not but I only shift manually in my new 991.2 GTS, same as in my R8. It is fun. Smiley

Fuel consumption for the first 200 km was around 14 l / 100 km but keep in mind that I am still breaking in the car. I am pretty sure however that driving slow will result in a considerably lower fuel consumption than in my former 991.1 GTS. Driving full throttle on the Autobahn however could result in a much higher fuel consumption but it remains to be seen...I haven't tried it yet. Just a wild assumption on my experience with turbo charged cars.

The biggest surprise however is the...exhaust/engine sound. I don't know if Porsche has changed something or if this applies to the 991.2 GTS models only but my 991.2 Carrera GTS Convertible is...loud. Actually very loud. Not as loud as my R8 but believe it or not, the sound is louder (and more noticeable) than in a regular 991.1 Carrera model with PSE. Yes, in Sport mode, there are those sometimes annoying backfiring noises but the sound itself is typical 911 and again...loud. I am very very surprised! My son was so opposed to this car because he was afraid it would sound like the 991.2 Carrera S I tested last year but now he loves the car because, like me, he was positively surprised. 

QIMG_0162.jpg

Why couldn't Porsche make my former 991.1 Turbo S sound this way? I would have never ever given it away. Seriously.

Overall, I am very happy with my decision to get this car, I also appreciate the new PCM system a lot, even if the setup for Porsche Connect is more complicated than actually needed. You need to register and to fully use Porsche Connect, you need to print out a code and go to your dealer to have Connect activated. Not exactly the easiest way to do it.

I am looking forward to 12 happy months in this car and I am pretty sure that at the end of the lease, I will regret returning this car. Hopefully, Porsche gives the 992 the same exhaust sound they gave the 991.2 GTS because it is really really a good sound...for a turbo charged car. Kudos to them. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)