Quote:
ISUK said:
Kreso,

I think you hit the nail on the head with the looks over performance issue. It seems that a growing number of buying decisions are being made on the basis of looks and exclusivity these days which there is nothing wrong with IMHO if people are just honest and admit that's what influenced them. I must admit it makes me smile every time a "new" car is launched as the early buyers seem to be more in love with the fact that they get noticed on the road more. This is hardly surprising as onlookers are naturally curious about unfamiliar vehicles. I laugh even more when journalists resort to this - witness Autocar taking a Fiat 500 and a Mini One around the streets of Turin a few months ago and writing that the Mini was almost invisible to the public next to the 500. Really? What a surprise - a car that has been around for 6 years doesn't draw attention.... what a shock

The comments on traffic light performance are somewhat childish though. I've agree with you on the performance of the 997TT and the M3 having had the chance of an extended and unaccompanied test drive in one last week It's a very capable car but needs to be driven hard before you realise just how capable it really is. After all the lack lustre magazine reviews thus far I'll be interested to see how Tiff Needell's bit of hairy chested sideways track driving on 5th Gear lat night changes views on forums today

Buyers are getting wiser. Street performance is over rated. Unless you are tracking a car, to drive around a city with a silly big whale tail is nothing more screaming I am a "WANNABE". Smart money goes to cars that look stylish, have exclusivity, have perceived or actual performance and retain their value.

With cars costing close to or over $200,000, it is crazy to to buy a car just because it has good performance or it goes around the Ring in less than 7.50sec. Look at the CGT. Great performance and yet Porsche comes out a the GT2 that performs as well for $250,000 less.