Quote:
Nugget said:

Porsche engineers aren't pondering how they can add horsepower. They're pondering how they can make the car perform better.

I'm sorry I should have been more clear: I'm speculating on the future of the Carrera.

More HP and _more_fun_to_drive_ offered by ending the rear engined 911.

Yeah yeah, it takes some training to get the most out of the 911, but how many guys get that training? How many purchasers of a carrera when coming from a Boxster are disappointed by the limited fun factor?

"Everybody" knows if the Boxster had 400+ hp "nobody" would buy the Carrera.

The thread is about the future of the 911: why can't that future be mid-engined?

What is the _rear-engined_ Carrera? It's a legacy from the days prior to WW2. It's been refined beyond anyone's imagination: now what?

How about "painlessly" making "The Flagship" model for Porsche mid-engined?

Karl Ludvigsen called the __Boxster__ "Porsche's Masterpiece" of road cars. (he also probably thought it was underpowered )

He did _not_ say that about the Carrera. My guess is because the 911 lacks a mid-engine.

P.S. I'm grateful for your clear thinking. Sorry I mislead about my apparent HP obsession (HP _IS_ fun though!). I figure get a V8 in there and Porsche can maybe have a new "sky's the limit" (also cost-feasible) attitude in the planning and engineering dept.