MMD, with all due respect, I strongly suspect you have never driven a Turbo Tip and your remarks are merely ruminations of conventional wisdoms. The Tip is an excellent transmission...for AMG Mercedes and I have owned three since 2003. The Tip used in my Cayenne Turbo S (different transmission manufacturer and a six speed) is quite well suited to the intended market application and segment for the vehicle. It is my belief (and I do own and drive a Turbo Tip) the MB transmission dulls the responsiveness of the Porsche driving experience. Morever, the actual performance of the transmission does not necessarily mirror the narrative in the owner's manual or in the dealer's promotional literature; for example, according to the owner's manual, when the 'sport' button is pressed, the car starts in first gear. Specifically, on page 185 in the manual it indicates "When the Sport mode is selected, the vehicle moves off in first gear." In fact, it may or may not depending on a constellation of preceding operational linked variables. My complaints regarding this discrepancy found in the owner's manual not only on page 185 but also on page 75 were reported to my dealer who subsequently contacted PCNA. The error was confirmed. A downshift from second to first may be forced; however, this occurs with a lag. A review of your Turbo's manual will lend credence to my point.

Moreover, for over two years, my 997s was my daily commuter and depressing the clutch in stop start traffic was never troublesome or tiring for me...and it may not be for others. In fact, I once again suggest you read what your owner's manual points out re the Tip when congested conditions are encountered.

Your choice or mine is a function of preference. To define your preference functions collect and analyze accurate and objective data. A purchasing based on heresay and misinformation will disappoint. Drive both...