i have a 997S Atlas/Black with PSE & spacers, i adore the car its everything i hoped my very first 911 would be, i may lower it soon but really thats as far as i want to go with modding it as its such a great car out of the factory.

But ... as with most petrolheads, i want a toy, something i can keep messing with, a hobby almost. I have bounced around for a few months now with whether to sell the 997S & get a used 997GT3, or save for a 997tt (i have nothing against the 996 the looks of it are just not for me) but then i keep returning to my love of the older 911s.

Also in this dilemma is the fact that i have never owned a Cab & want to experience that at some stage (though the UK weather is hardly great to make this a major priority for me).

So, can i ask those of you with knowledge of older 911's, i'm talking 1980's 930 911's or maybe 964 911's whether you feel i could get a reasonably priced one that would give me that pure driving experience that would allow me to steadily & consistently improve it or mod it & whether you feel that would scratch this constant itch to be playing with my car ?

For some reason it just doesn't feel right to keep modding my 997S, whereas it feels almost necessary to mod an older 911 & at the same time really enjoy an era where cars were lighter & driver interaction purer !

I don't have a bottomless pit where cash is concerned, so i need to be able to do this reasonably economically.

All opinions are welcome, thanks