The problem is recurring. Same errors they've tried to fix before. They fix things, do updates, etc, send the car back to me and it works fine and then several hundred miles later it happens again. I once had them fix the car, and the second I got it off the shipping truck at my house, it threw the same error again. The problems are so random that unless they keep the car and drive it around constantly, they never seem aware when things are actually fixed or not because it passes their driving tests and there is no indication of problems.

The car was picked up yesterday ($800 of the cost on me) and is at the dealer now, and I'm almost positive they won't figure out what's wrong. They never do. Same thing has been happening for years, so it seems clear there is something wrong with the car and they really have no idea what it is. I half expect them to call back saying they can't find anything wrong with the car and that it's was just a random error.

Whether it keeps happening and they keep agreeing to fix it for free even after the warranty expires is irrelevant because transportation to/from the dealer is not free or easy. It's like 400 miles to the closest dealer. Can cost like $1200-1500 each way to ship the car, or 6 hours of awful driving each way + plane ticket to get back, and I don't get to use the car for weeks. If it was just a random dash light that was an error and didn't actually do anything and could easily be cleared it would be one thing, but I'm not going to keep a car that can disable major functions of the car whenever it randomly feels like it and I have no way of clearing.