Though I'm "shocked" 3.2 and 3.8 have different tubing diameters an engine expert would have to explain why. their design.

MMD,I hope you did not misunderstand my reply to your post . I did not intend to question your general statement regarding modular design .
I merely wished to state that Porsche factory tips are not necessarily interchangeable , even for the same model/ series cars .

Regarding why the exhaust pipes(and headers etc.) from the 997 and 997 S are different sizes:
Porsche has spent countless hours ( years even ) engineering their exhausts and air intakes to arrive at the backpressures they consider optimal for each of their different engines ( per Porsche "Technik")

I find it amusing that people spend 100k on a Porsche because they think it's one of the best engineered cars available.
And then immediately proceed to rip out brand new exhausts and air intakes, believing that somehow they will get better performance from some aftermarket stuff.

Apparently they trust the BS from backyard muffler welders more than they do the Porsche Engineers who have been continuously improving the performance of these cars for decades .
Or perhaps they are under the impression that the exhaust and intake systems are deliberately screwed up by Porsche just to [beep] us off ?

If someone wants a different exhaust sound, go ahead.
But don't expect any performance gains. In fact, most times you wind up with just the opposite ("Butt" dyno tests not withstanding .Lol )