Upon starting after fueling, the other evening, the onboard computer (not the PCM) flashed a message to check the oil level. I didn't get the "exclamation" or any other indicator other then the textual message in the cluster display. I was able to dismiss the message by pushing (or was it pulling) the stalk that controls those functions.

I have never seen this message before and yes, I've refueled a few times. I do check the oil level each time I start the car when it is cold. The level has been a constant "one bar" down for a few months. I was waiting for it to drop "two bars" down before topping up with oil (as I didn't want to over fill.)

The gas station I was at was one mile from my home. I took it easy and drove it softly home. I checked the level when I got home and it displayed "one bar" down (as it has been.) I waited until the engine cooled some and checked the level again. Again it was one bar down. I added about 200ml, checked the level. One bar down. I added about another 200ml, checked the level. The display reads full now.

What chain of events triggered the on board computer to tell me to check the level? Is this a normal event that I just have not seen before? Have I been blind to it for all of the previous fuelings?

Signed,
Curious in Denver!