I have a rule: NEVER VALET PARK YOUR CAR. This sometimes leads to arguments with my wife who does not appreciate walking from the far end of a parking lot or even a few blocks from a parking spot on the street. Broke my own rule last Friday and let the valet park my wife's CLK 500 at the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach, CA (one of those hotels with no self parking). This was the first time I have valet parked one of my cars in a long time. My 996 has over 106,000 miles and I have only valet parked it twice in seven years and only because there was no other option. Sure enough, when we retrieved the car there was massive damage to the left front corner of the car, including hood, fender, bumper, light cluster--about $4,000 in repairs. I spoke to the hotel's claims adjuster who told me she is very busy managing auto claims for that hotel. When my wife rented a substitute vehicle at the local Mercedes dealer, she was told that the dealer currently has three other cars under repair from that hotel. That's just at the Mercedes dealer. Can you imagine how many other cars are regularly damaged at that hotel (and others)?

Just ordered my Turbo (Slate/Natural Brown). Repeat after me: "I WILL NEVER EVER VALET PARK MY TURBO!"