I fail to see how you compare a Tesla to a sport car. Some people here keep reverting to that. The Tesla is a cool fast acceleration high tech people mover. A sport car is a fun weekend toy and occasionally a daily commuter for a single person.

Compare the Tesla S to sedans and X to SUVs. The Tesla destroys the competition in the USA and sell more cars than any other in the luxury segment today. If the X 100D (non P) existed when we ordered the RRS we would probably be driving it today. When the model Y comes out the Macan will probably be in serious trouble.

Germans manufacturers need to wake up ASAP. They need full EVs in the next two years in EVERY model line and they need to be at competitive prices with the Teslas. For non car nuts, the Teslas are THE cars to own today. That’s how cool their image is. I have yet to meet ANYONE (outside of RT)  saying they simply don’t like or don’t want a Tesla. Some might decide against buying one eventually, but they never ruled them out initially.

Musk is a smart person. If I was him, I would ready some cool facelifts and interior upgrades. When Germans wake up, let them out of the bag. They will still be hampered by dealership inertia and silly model upgrade cycles.