Quote:
Porsche-Jeck said:
Quote:
toplad said:
Porsche says each model appeals to different types of buyers.

Actually that's almost the only statement in the article which makes sense
I'm bored with this "which car is better" BS - with cars quite close in performance like the Cayman S and the 3.6 Carrera it's a matter of personal preference and nothing else. For customer A the Cayman S is the better car while for customer B it's the Carrera.
The nicest comparo I've seen so far was done by EVO a while ago (though featuring the Boxster S as the counterpart to the 3.6 Carrera). They tested both cars on public roads and on the track - only mini differences in performance if you go by the numbers. In so far you could say the Cayman S is the better buy (if you just look at the purchase price/performance ratio). But they also managed to describe pretty well the different driving dynamics of both cars - and here it simply comes down to individual preference (rear-engine vs. mid-engine driving dynamics).
Personally I wouldn't pick a 3.6 Carrera over a Cayman S (like stated already by German, VGA and Dreamcar), but I never would say that the Cayman S is the better car, just because I'd prefer it.

@ toplad: get over it, Cayman and Boxster share the same technical platform just like a Carrera Cab and a Carrera Coupé does Of course a coupé version of the same platform always is somewhat more rigid and of course the driver can sense that, but that doesn't make the Coupé a proprietary product line IMO. Also I'm sure (without having scientific evidence) that the performance gap (if any) between an equally powered Boxster and Cayman is even narrower than the gap between Carrera Cab/Coupé - finally the Boxster has been designed as a two seater open car in the first place with a much smaller cabin compared to the 2+2 seater carrera - hence the disadvantage of the missing fix roof should be smaller compared to the Carrera.

Get over what exactly???

Of course the Caymans based on the Boxster, never claimed it wasn't and never said it was a "proprietary product line" either???? So I don't know where that's come from

My only point is the roof makes a noticeable difference, in the way the car feels and drives the advantages of a stiffer car I listed earlier in the thread(and are well known).For some reason dreamcar can't seem to grasp this because it doesn't fit in with his polarised view that the Boxster S his is "dream car". I have high regard for the Boxster (which I've just bought), but the Cayman offers a more feel some and hardcore package and anyone takes one out and drives the thing will know within a few miles on the road or track.

Maybe your should actually read the my post and not jump to conclusions

Regards

PS. DC, your last post makes you look really childish, please grow up