Quote:
MKSGR said:
Quote:
tortesq1 said:
MKSGR,

I assume from your posts that you are a current 997TT owner. Is that accurate ? Or, did you sell your 997TT ? If no, why don't you sell it for something else that will make you happy, whatever that may be ? It sounds like the turbo isn't your cup of tea. Why waste your precious time constantly badmouthing this particular vehicle. If you are so unhappy with it, just dump it like a bad habit or girlfriend ? Your characterizing the TT like its some kind of disease. So, treat it like one and cut it out of your life. FWIW, what vehicles DO you like as daily drivers ? Just interested, since you seem like a real hard ass viz a viz the 997TT. I thought another guy on this list dumped his TT and purchased an F430 (dingleberry ?). Maybe you should follow suit. Life is too short to be so unhappy. Just my 2 cents.

My case s special: I had looked forward to ordering a new 997TT to replace my previous 996TTS until the first rumours/news about the 997TT came out. Let me say, our ex-ante expectations were pretty high (you can read them on rennteam if you use the search function).

Then came the frustrating news: not enough power, old 5-gear Tip, manual slower than Tip, etc. etc. Since then, the negative news flow has continued, the latest pieces of information being insufficient development work done on new AWD system and poor lap times compared to the 996TT.

Regarding my potential ordering of a 997TT I have taken the decision not to buy this car. However, this decision was made last fall already.

Having said all that I am still very annoyed about Porsche frustrating long-term customers like me by presenting a car like the 997TT I would have loved to buy a new TT

I can certainly understand why many long time Porsche owners/fans would take this Sport Auto test so hard. It's just one test on a difficult and very long circuit. Sure, I too am puzzled by their findings.

However, even running separate tests with the same car would generate different times. Anyone who follows bike/car racing knows this too well. The better test would be to place both 996tt & 997tt head-to-head with drivers of similar talents on the Ring.

Most, if not all of the negative comments have come from non owners. I would be interested in hearing from those having owned both 996tt & 997tt. Besides RC's somewhat negative comments about its handling characteristics, I don't recall anyone else expressing negative feelings - except its exhaust note.

While I am very happy with my choice, I wasn't a 996tt owner and therefore can't make comparisons. As such, I find
this discussion a bit harsh given the 997tt's accomplishments:
1. About as fast as 996GT2MkII (0-200kmh=12sec) or about 2 seconds faster than the 996tt.
2. Appears to lap Ring in similar time???
3. Laps Ring as fast as Gallardo SE/F430 - both mid-engined, hardcore, 2 seater Sports Cars.
4. Costs (in USA) about half of F430 (incl.premiums) and 30-40% less than Gallardo SE.
5. Can be driven year-round - not just 5,000km/yr as G/F.

Yes, it hasn't matched some member's expectations, but please let me know what car, with similar characteristics, is better?

If you had to jump to a 599 to satisfy your requirements, great. But that is one heck of a $$$ leap. Enjoy.

By the way, just hope it laps the Ring as fast. The following times are listed for Ferraris:
1. 7'55" F430F1 - Sport Auto
2. 7'56" 360 Challenge Stradale - Sport Auto
3. 8'05" 575M Maranello - 580hp - Sport Auto