So, my daughter pulls out of a parking lot in 2002 while driving my son's car. Dude comes up 57 St in Manhattan on a bike well in excess of the speed limit and hits her A4 hard enough to turn it 90 degrees. The expert witnesses differ on Dude's speed, it was either in the mid 40s (police), above 50 (defense) or in the 30s (plaintiff). He broke the frame on his bike, and left a skid mark more than 40 feet long. The speed limit is 25 mph. Slam on your brakes at 25mph and see how far you go on a bike; it won't be that far.

There's a U-Haul truck legally double parked (yes, it's legal while you're loading or unloading) while someone loads their stuff to move to California which the Dude had to pass on his way to crashing into my daughter.

After a trial in which he is found partially responsible for the accident, but where both U-Haul and my kids are also found responsible, he collects 10 big bucks from U-Haul (not the driver who rented the truck) and small bucks from my son's insurance company.

It's really unbelievable.

The best part of the whole deal is my daughter wasn't injured, although her faith in the justice system was shattered.