What does everyone think on below info ? I got it off the Porsche Club America site............

911 Turbo Engine

performance specs for 2007 997 turbo
Back to 911 Turbo

Question

I recently purchased the new 997 twin turbo, Tiptronic S. There is tremendous acceleration in excess of 3,000 rpm, but acceleration at lower rpm is very slow. Porsche states (per Philip Raby, article in July issue of Total 911, and confirmed directly with him) that the car accelerates from 50 mph to 75 mph in 3.5 seconds in 4th gear (without sports boost active), but after approximately 4 seconds the turbo has reached only about 57 mph. It feels like my Toyota Sequoia. My dealership states that the engine should wear in and provide better performance, but I doubt it will have anywhere near that much of an effect.

I believe the professionals at my dealership do not have much direct exposure to the 997 turbo and understandably cannot provide the answer/solution until they have more experience. In the meantime can you provide some direction, or is there a branch of Porsche that deals with customer questions/issues with new vehicles/systems? I want my dealership to get feedback from Porsche, or let me do so directly.

Answer

When I first bought my 997TT I was thrilled and disappointed at the same time. All the hype of no lag, super fast low end and so on was not there. Given what I came out of I was not surprised by this however I was shocked how the car still had what I considered to be lag as compared to the 996TT. I know, one should not complain especially after the years I have spent in 930s. Heck, I still own one for that matter.

After some testing several things became apparent. The first was the car does need to loosen up. Either the program is set to pull back or the motor is so tight that almost right at 1000 miles the car loosens up and makes more power. Companies are now getting wise and putting timed programs in to pull timing, TB parameters etc. I have not confirmed this but I have compared several 997TTs and they all do the same thing.

The other interesting thing we found was the car carries an enormous amount of back pressure through the exhaust. The new variable turbos do not seems to like back pressure and want it less than the standard turbo. This is robbing the low end and creating what can almost be described as a stutter or drop off up top near read line in sport mode.

The last thing is the there is already another software version with these cars. Whether or not the dealers know the cars have another mapping they are coming out with. This map seems to drastically help across the range.

Stephen Kaspar - PCA WebSite - 1/1/2007