No jamesdamanuk1. They do not have the same clutch. The 997S has a self-adjusting clutch with the "X-Tend" system. The standard 997 does not have this feature.

If you spoke to a dealer/salesperson or someone in PCGB (Reading) customer services, please note that they simply don't have a clue. They are not technical experts.

The information Lukas has found on google, and which The Groom has quoted, is from the 997 Product Information Guide which is written by Porsche AG in Stuttgart. This book is written to educate salespeople in dealerships who are selling the car. What it says is final. Sadly, very few salespeople actually seem to know its contents. In my experience, they give answers without checking the facts. When I was planning to buy my 997S, I read the books very carefully from cover to cover and found I usually knew far more about the car than the UK dealers who were trying to sell it to me!

I should add that the 911 sales brochure/book also states that the 997S has a self-adjusting clutch. Please see Page 67 (of the Edition: 05/06 Printed in Germany WVK 226 420 07 E/WW) which states that:-

"On the S and 4S models, the gearbox is mated to a high performance self-adjusting clutch. The result is a 50 % reduction in the added release loads which are normally encountered as the clutch begins to wear."

No offence intended to anyone but just a humble and polite request: to avoid unnecessary confusion for others, please be absolutely sure of the facts before you post