Quote:
Fanch said:
Quote:
svtrader1 said:
Quote:
Fanch said:
Quote:
KresoF1 said:
BTW, clutch will last only up to 10 or so LC starts...
So, after that go figure...

LC is actually intended to save the clutch. It allows wheel spin and hence is not efficient at all but impressive and harmless on the clutch.
I tried it last weekend on a 599 and it was rather fun, bar utterly pointless.

There is a launch technique that consists in engaging 1st gear then holding left paddle until it blips, then foot on brakes, apply full throttle and release brake.

Canonball departure but that would definitely destroy the clutch quite rapidly.

Sorry Fanch, but you have this backwards. LC is brutal on the clutch. The concept of LC is to allow the clutch to slip which would increase wear and tear. Allowing the clutch to slip would reduce wheel spin. Less wheel spin = better traction.

Incorrect.
Tried it no later than last weekend.
LC allows wheel spin, and hence, no clutch wear.
Try it, you will see.
I believe LC is not availabe for US cars.
Also see EVO roadtest of the 599 where they mention that same case.
www.evo.co.uk

I wish more emphasis would be paid to rolling starts, which IMO are more indicative of real-world performance - ie. 5-160kph, 50-160kph, 50-200kph etc, rather than standing starts, such as 0-100kph (0-60mph) or 1/4 mile acceleration. US car magazines seem to particularly focus on 0-60mph acceleration, even when testing Supercars - why?

How many owners would "trash" their beloved cars in this manner?

We all know that standing starts are tricky affairs, which are very much driver dependent. Tire type, tire pressure, track conditions etc, all play a very important role. I've heard of GT3s, C2S being revved to 5000-6000rpm before dropping the clutch, inducing severe axle-hop - I find this almost ridiculous. Drivetrains and clutches don't last long with this type of abuse.

Getting back on topic, the 599 should never be able to out-accelerate the Enzo, given its added weight, smaller tires, less favourable weight transfer characteristics and less hp. Can't imagine it would win a rolling start contest, such as 50-250kph or 50-300kph. No way!

Agree rolling starts/N-ring times (on street tires) are far more relevant....but ricers/rappers/bench racers seem to favor 0-xxx times....

But would also argue track is fairly irrelevant to prob 95%+ of actual 599 buyers.....those who are interested in tracks can easily get FXX/430C for track-only duty.....

And given F's anemic sales of FXX, reality is very few w/resources are particularly interested in tracks...