Quote:
Danny G said:
Quote:
STRADALE said:
Quote:
DavidSF said:
Quote:
STRADALE said:
In my area as in most of the US the F430 will always have far greater re-sale %'s than the turbo. It was the same w/ the 996 turbo vs. the 360/Challenge_Stradale. Believe me I know, I took about a 25% re-sale hit on my turbo after 18 months and I MADE MONEY after owning my CS 2 years. Last week I was offered $35k over what I paid for my 430. No biggy though, it's not news; anyone in the US that's been an owner of both cars (turbo & CS, or 430) will basically tell you the same thing.

But what was the mileage on your CS? High mileage Ferraris plummet in resale values. Ferraris have high resale value on face value, but if you dig deeper, it's because their owners rarely drive them and so they have very low mileage, AND Ferrari produces them in low volume, so supply/demand is a factor. It has nothing to do with them being superior cars and so an exceptional demand for them, but rather Ferrari manipulating the market value the same way that DeBeers manipulates the diamond market, and owners rarely driving them and hence low mileage compared to other sports cars. If Ferrari produced as many F430s as Porsche makes the 997 there would be more F430s sitting on dealer lots and bigger discounts.

David

Trust me from real world experience buying and selling both cars around the same time dealing w/ the same market the turbo just doesn't have anywhere near the same re-sale as the 8 cyl Ferrari in the US. It just doesn't dude. It's the same - 996 turbo vs. 360 or CS/ 997 turbo vs 430. Mileage on my turbo was greater and the car was newer yet I took a 25% depreciation hit vs making money on the CS. 430's have been selling at large premiums for over a year, the 997 turbo is no where near the 430's re-sale. I'm telling you anyone in the US that's owned and traded these 2 cars will tell you the same thing.

It's not that I don't respect other people's opinion's on this board, people that don't own these cars, it's all very cordial and everyone entitled to their own position, it's just when you don't have the real world experience to make comments and when instead of talking about a subjective area, where facts are the direct opposite it becomes somewhat annoying. You want to say the 430 Spider is a horrible looking car, fine whatever, it's your opinion but starting a thread stating the turbo has better re-sale than the 430 and not posting the fact it's based on European values is not just wrong it's irresponsible. Nick lives in the US so obviously his comments are regarding the US, and he happens to be correct.

For whatever or why ever you have a thorn in your side regarding the 430 Spider, this place is great for others trying to find factual information, your beef imho really shouldn't be used to try and twist facts to suit your purpose. I happen to be in love with BOTH Porsche & Ferrari and put my money where my mouth is. In fact I plan on conducting a long term test of the 430 vs. the 997 turbo once I collect my 997 turbo cab. This test of course will benefit the scientific community and I have no plans to get any pleasure from the head to head comparison tests whatsoever. I'm not biased towards one manufacturer or the other. And frankly the whole 430 vs turbo arguement always sounds as silly to me as ' my daddy can beat up your daddy' . LOL!! I mean, come on, they're both fantastic cars but people get so one sided as if they were routing for one sports team over the other. And imho it's not till you realize the true greatness of both cars and hold them tight to your bosom that you will feel true nirvana....... ...... Please whatever your issue is, you're perfectly entitled to your subjective opinion but try and keep the real world factual stuff to yourself until you know more about what you're talking about, no disrepect intended, that's the nicest way I can think of saying what I really mean.

Actually what David is arguing is sound. The crux is that because Ferrari restricts supply and Porsche does not, the relative difference in depreciation may not be soley due to variation in demand/desirability. Stradale, you're an ex-stockbroker, right?

I'm going to take an analytical leap-of-faith and say that in the absence of supply controls, Ferraris would depreciate equally to Lambos in the USA. I think i'm correct in saying that they have equal levels of brand cachet in the USA (and rest of the world). Also, they are very similar in price and performence.

I'm glad someone understands what I'm trying to say. It's a shame Ferrari has to resort to limiting supply to sell their awful looking cars. They know full well if they were to make more cars they would be more accountable for design and quality issues. As it is now, they are getting away with "murder," er, rather spitting in their customers' faces. They should be ashamed for manipulating the market for their cars at the expense of their customers.

David

You mean POTENTIAL customers. I doubt very many actual customers have a problem with the 430's depreciation....Besides you have a weird position, you feel the 430 Spider is a horrible looking car and at the same time you're blasting Ferrari for not making enough of them.

RE: your previous post; you're welcome.

I'm blasting Ferrari for "spitting in their customers' faces."

David

P.s. can you do me a favor and look at the other articles in that September 2006 issue of EVO and see if you can find a remark calling the F430 Spider vulgar? thanks.