Quote:
Leawood911 said:
I disagree. The PSE is just engineered sound.

As far as I know you do not even get new muffles with the PSE. You are paying for a Hole in the system that opens and closes - and adding weight. - Wonder how long that will last without rusting or failing.

You most certainly are entitled to your own opinions.

But since , by your own admission, you know nothing about the PSE's , why not educate yourself before offering "hear say" advice to others?

Do you know for a fact that you will not gain any hp from the PSE ? Just because Porsche does not make the same BS claims as some aftermarket muffler peddlers?
I don't know the numbers ( and the hp gains from ANY exhaust will be minimal at best )nor do I care, but would you not agree that if you bypass 2/3 of a muffler it is reasonable to assume that the back pressure is also reduced ?

Personally , I would rather have what you refer to as an "engineered" system than something welded in a garage in China.

But since you obviously trust the aftermarket "experts" more than the Porsche Engineers who spent years perfecting the car , may I suggest you look at the Fabspeed system ?

When you add up their numbers and include their rubber elbow "cold air kit" you will gain over 50hp.
And if you put in the $299 K&N air intake, you will get another 32 hp .That's getting pretty close to a Ruf supercharger already .
All dyno proven of course (so you don't have to solicit funds here to have it done )

If you are concerned about how long the PSE will last, it's covered for 10 years and unlimited milage.
That is also why it's a little heavier.They use heavy gauge st.stl. instead of paper thin sheetmetal, and st.stl. pipe instead of thin wall tubing. No rocket science here .
If you worry that 20 lbs.one way or another will adversely affect your performance , put 3 gallons less gas in your tank.
I wonder what the warranty from someone who peddles mufflers out of his driveway is worth ?

Finally ,regarding the headers,in a normally aspirated engine,there is a relationship between backpressure ,hp and torque. If you reduce the backpressure, you will get a few extra hp at PEAK rpm's, and you will lose torque on the lower end. I don't know how you drive, but I don't spend most of my time at 6000rpm and above.

I hope you are not insulted when I say that I believe that the Porsche Engineers know a little more about which headers to put on their cars than you , or some aftermarket guru.
Just remember that you get what you pay for.

If you are interested in learning more about the 997's , how the systems work , what changes were made from the 996 and why , I have the Porsche Technik manual in PDF.
I'll be happy to e-mail you the file .

Good luck with your mods.