Show me a single case, a single instance, where a warranty claim involving engine failure or malady is denied due to the PCM showing a deviation from the manual's break-in HINTS. Use your heads, ask your attorney (hell, there's enough of them right here on this forum), by using the language they use, i.e. "hints" and "suggested", they have no teeth to bind warranty denial. Zero, it wouldn't hold water in any dispute. They INTENTIONALLY use those soft words, it's not happenstance..

I've got no problem if anybody wishes to defer to blind paranoia rather than engineering context when breaking-in their new car. You're just making my head hurt when you insinuate that when Porsche titles a section "Break-in hints", and even indexes it as-such, that these suggestions are binding to warranty. Funny, I don't see ANYWHERE in the break-in section where it says, "failure to comply with suggested break-in procedure could result in denial of warranty coverage", "could be considered as abuse under the warranty dictates". That's because they don't do that, you're citing urban myth. They do say in the warranty booklet that warranty will not cover failures at racing or driving events, and will not cover "abuse". Yes, the word "abuse" is never spoken in the break-in procedure either, and one would imagine that abuse would be difficult to assign to the engine, as it's rev-limited by the computer. I would imagine that the most common occurance of Porsche waving the "abuse" flag is with clutches and brakes.

Furthermore, suggesting that following break-in on a certain car directly resulted in it's being "more powerful than other cars (you've) encountered" is about as scientific and conclusive as me claiming that beer is key to good health, because I've drank a mug every evening of my adult life, and I'm healthier than most...

I'm sorry for the ranting nature of my post, but this subject has worn on me... It seems that even a Porsche engineer, citing the context that spawned the break-in HINTS, isn't enough to hedge the paranoia a touch.

I think this boils down to fear of the unknown. I was fairly careful with my car early-on, to give it a bit of seating-in time, and just "because". No other good reason. But I didn't look at the odometer like the pearly gates. Break-in happens rather organically, it's not a structured and standardized process. It just looks that way in the manual, for public consumption, knowing that some customers don't know a valve seat from a bench cushion, and that tossing a bit of cautionary language out there will be for the overall good.