You're right, the salesperson was a schmuck, and the car should've been ready and inside...

BUT... I've never bought a new car, regardless of price or exclusivity, that I didn't go back-over all of the dealer's so-called "detail".

There's no substitute for detailing the car yourself, at home, for accomplishing a full inventory and assessment of every last square-millimeter of the car, while at the same time giving it a true and thorough 1st-cleaning. Call me low-expectations-larry, but I never EXPECT anything but shoddy detail-work from the dealer. 90% of their clients don't know the difference, and do worse work of it themselves, if and when they ever do it themselves. They only perform up to the level of the majority of their schlepp customers.

So, I would've been a bit irritated too, but I'm always irritated dealing with dealers. I think I'd probably be rolling my eyes in disgust if I was picking up a Bugatti..

Be happy that your car, once properly gone-over by you, which you would have to do anyhow, turned out to be flaw-free and nicely assembled.

When you're buying a new car, maybe you're paying for a detail-job, but you've always got to go back over it anyhow, so it's kind of like being upset that your take-out food is handed to you a bit cold... You're going to have to heat it up by the time you get it home ANYHOW, so move on...