RC:
DaveGordon:

Come on - I spent years going to ski resorts most weekends in 2wd cars.  With decent winter rubber the number of journeys 4wd was necessary I could count on one hand.

Yes, indeed but when it happens... Smiley 

We once went to Ischgl (Austria) and rented a small chalet outside the main resort area. I had a 996 C2 at that time. Little did I know that the chalet was at the top of a steep hill and of course, since it wasn't the main resort area in Ischgl, they didn't clean up the snow there. I had to leave the car at the bottom of that hill over night because it was basically impossible to go up (yes, I had winter tires but no snow chains with me). I always made it to half of it and the car got stuck (no, snow was not high, ground clearance was OK but traction just wasn't good enough). I lost 2 kg that holiday because we also had to carry the luggage up and down that hill (around 400 meters or so... Smiley) and of course our skiing equipment. The rental company said they mentioned that hill in the description but they actually only mentioned that the chalet is on a "beautiful hill", not that you need a Mercedes G class with chains to be able to climb up that hill. Smiley

That is pretty much the situation we are in. Off the main roads, steep and snow not cleaned up.

Then again, it does not have to be in the mountains. A few years back I did not make it up the hill to our home in the winter even if I had good winter tires on the 997.2 S. It is not a nice feeling when the car comes to a halt and starts sliding backwards on a narrow road with stone walls on each side. Luckily I pressed the clutch to get the wheels rolling and could somewhat controlled steer while rolling down backwards. Had to walk up and get the car the next day.

All-wheel drive is a bit like the front axle lift. Mostly you don't need it, but when you need it, then you really need it indecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White