Quote:
VKSF said:I typically drive my '07 CL600 faster than I did my prior '07 SL65 (despite some 100 less hp/lb-ft) simply b/c 65's poor traction on uneven surfaces/wet roads saps confidence/driving pleasure.....

Will trade-in my 600 for the CL63 in Mar, w/some 150 less lb-ft, b/c IMO more important than raw power/0-xxx times are attributes like steering precision/brake pedal feel/exhaust note/susp tightness/paddleshifters/traction/damping and cross-wind stability, etc....

Doubt any aftermkt maker can develop a particularly balanced car, simply b/c of their lack of R&D scale....would argue 65 is a great example of a factory-spec imbalanced car...too much tq for chassis, leading to a lack of traction even in mundane driving for a daily commuter car....

Suspect 599 and S/CL63 will offer best balance of speed/driving feel&precision/comfort/practicality...

Quite agree with your comment regarding the lack of traction on the high-end AMG models.

My personal opinion is that for street driving in North America, to truly appreciate a car with 400+ horsepower, you need AWD and Porsche grade brakes.

I just had a blast in the rain passing a Gallardo which was following a slow moving Honda.

The rough road and wet surfaces made it rather difficult for the bumpy Gallardo to use the other narrower passing lane but me in my 997TT, not a problem.

Just downshifted with my thumb, stepped on the gas and did my little dance. This would not have been possible in my previous AMG, not enough traction to accelerate in the rain, not enough braking power to cut back in, slow down and make the turn safely.