Quote:
catdog said:
911s are everyday cars, they are tools for every street type and have been used in Rallys even as far back as nearly 30 years ago. They should be driven everyday and everywhere and not pampered like special weekend cars. That's my opinion, now if you live in a beautiful sunny part of the country and can pamper your car to be only a sunny weekend no rain specimen then power to you. I don't think these cars were designed as such, perhaps their exorbitant price and overblown option pricing scheme may cause one to be very careful with their investment, well that's a natural instinctual response. But to start treating 911s as though they were Carrera GT or Enzo's is laughable...
I think Beltar's car looks like it's in its element and as soon as they lay salt and snow on the ground, i will be sending in my winter pics.

No matter what you wish to do with your car, you're missing the point. People get too damn romantic about this stuff, "cars should be driven, blah blah blah". The car doesn't care a whit, nor is there any moral obligation to use a leather-lined cabin as a glorified winter mud room.

I don't care what anybody does with their cars. Drive it, don't drive it. Make it into a coffee table if you want. I just don't understand the obsession with trying to use any "tool" with some sort of neurotic joyous disdain...

My grandfather was an engineer and machinist (inventor of the pancake valve), and I grew up in machine shops and manufacturing plants. Very dirty, very greasy and oily environments. It was the nature of the process. But at the end of each day, a half-hour was dedicated to workspace cleanup and tool cleaning, such that each day began like the day before, much like an operating room.

You didn't use your precision instruments to bang a nail into the wall. You didn't use your precision cutting tools to scrape grease and metal-shaving gumballs off the concrete floor. You respected your precision instruments for what they were, and used them with care and appreciated their lofty expense. Properly taken care of, those tools lasted for generations. If you needed to bang a nail, or scrape the floor, there were crap tools in a bin across the shop for those purposes..

I see my 911 as a precision tool. Not a throwaway Chinese-made Harbor-Freight hunk of junk.

Besides, why is this line of logic always used for cars, but not clothes?? Some find it somehow romantic and heartwarming to use a 911 for mud-trucking, but those same people would find it quite moronic to shovel your driveway in a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo shoes..

I love my 911, but I don't "have to" take it everywhere I go like Paris Hilton was with her Chihuahua.

There's a segment of car owners who look down at people who covet and clean and drive their cars only on rare occassion, just because they're in denial about their own laziness and sloppiness and it makes them feel good to sneer at their alter-egos...

Likewise for those on the other side who are obsessive-compulsive disorder poster-children, who sneer at folks happily toodling around in their high-priced sportscars using them like a roll of toilet paper, like money grows on trees.

Me??? I say get over it, and do what you wish with your car. My earlier post was just my opinion. But you won't catch me saying "Porsche's are MEANT for this, or MEANT for that...". The only thing they are MEANT for is making the owner happy.

I applaud anyone who finds enjoyment in using their 911 every day, in all conditions. I don't criticize that at all. Where I draw my line is abuse, neglect, and overall lazy and wasteful behavior. That's kind of where I was coming from. If you love your car, that's all that matters. I just question why the dirtier and more disgusting the car gets, how anyone would consider that "better". Yeah, it shows that you've been using the car..... But why the celebration? Someday down the road when your car looks like a combination of lace and swiss cheese, and you watch the forklift toss it into the crusher, will you have an orgasm?

I view my truck as my "crap tool", and my 911 is my precision tool. Nothing wrong with that, I don't think that runs counter to the "design" whatsoever...

(Sorry so long, I got carried away!!! )