Having owned and enjoyed Porsches for 40 years (gasp!), I certainly admire the marque and the rear engine concept. I think it still has a future, but do wish for a bolder design on the 997 or future platform. Something like the improvement (in my personal view) of the GT2 over the 996 turbo (which I own and truly enjoy).

I also wish that Porsche would design a new mid-engine car, similar to the 360, in addition to the 997 and offspring. I believe it would have a niche, and not compete. There is a clear difference between the looks and appeal of the two designs, with both having distinct advantages. If both were offered, I think I would still opt for the rear engine design, as it provides a larger cockpit space, better rear viewing, and a more open feel all around inside. I drove a mid-engined Porsche (a 904 GTS) for many years--on the street and track--and can testify that the mid-engine layout has distinct disadvantages.

On the 911 being boring, I know what Nberry is getting at, as I actually lost interest in 911s over the late eighties and early nineties. I thought the design had stopped evolving. But with the 993 and 996, I got excited again as I saw the new designs as cleaner, more integrated, elegant and complete. I also thought Ferrari went well off course at one point, but regained its design footing with the 360.

A final comment about boring and out of date (which I could be). I own two beautiful 356s, and they get sincere, adoring comments all the time--all grounded in their simple, classic lines. And my guess is that Ferrari Daytona and 330 owners get the same. Older and simpler doesn't mean boring (I sure hope!).