I think that there's plenty of life yet in the 911. At its price point there is still little on the market that has had the thoroughness of development of a 911 which gives it such a solid dependable feeling-even if the reality doesn't always match that! But I agree with BC911J that it could really do with a bit more power and preferably less weight because there are many sporty derviatives of mass market cars which are getting relatively closer in performance. Such enhancements would sharpen the driving experience further and add agility and open the gap again. I certainly enjoy the unique feel of a 911 and -even though it may not be as 'pure' as a Boxster or Cayman- there's a certain edge to the experience as you are always aware of that pendulum out back. Would the market pay 911 money for a Cayman?

The 2008 997 should help the power issue but it would be great if they would fit the lighter doors from the TT/GT3, composite lid at the rear and use some technology to ditch some more weight-and make it more exotic-carbon, magnesium etc.but then it's too close to the GT3 for the marketing people. On the other hand perhaps they know this already and we have to wait for a 998-let's face it it won't be slower than a 997 will it, and I expect we'll all be queueing up for one