Quote:
ADias said:
Here we go again... the latest gadget seekers are all over a new toy.
Who cares? This is a Porsche forum - we only care about Porsches,
and in this particular section, 997s.

You should care. Other car companies are realizing that Porsche's comfy throne on the 100k sports car niche is ripe for attack.
The more relaxed Porsche gets with its status in there, the more inferior the product they give you, as they are clearly trying to maximize profits at all times.

Competition is always good for the customer as long as the customer plays by the rules of the competition. V8 Vantage and R8 will push Porsche to offer a better product, as will the e92 M3.

For example, I think sports-car enthusiasts need to take a hard stance with PAG on issues like the lack of delete option for 997 GT3s. The only way they will learn is through the bottom line, unfortunately. The age of globalized corporate culture does not care about prestige, but about profit.

This is not directed towards the engineers, which I have great admiration to, but the direction.

---------

Of course, Grant pointed out that the e36 320hp m3 (not US version which is like 270 I believe) did nothing to the Porsche product line in terms of power.

It will be interesting to see how the 911 tackles these new power wars with the 998. I think light-weight aluminum is the only option as a result of the eventual flat-six limitation... I'm hoping to lop off 100 kilos and bump up 40hp. I'd be ecstatic...