Quote:
easy_rider911 said:
I felt like asking this before when the Aston Martin V8 Vantage came out but we all subsequently discovered that the AMV8, while being exceptionally pretty to look at, doesn't outperform a 997S on the road or track.

BUT now the Audi R8 is out. All we have are pictures and info on the spec. No one here or in the motoring press has driven it yet so it's still too early to say anything for sure.

However, there's a chance that the new R8 will be around equal to a 997S in terms of track/road performance. On the assumption that this is the case, are the only differences that the R8 is more bold in style while the 997S offers rear seats? That's a depressing thought.

I am due to take delivery of a new 997S in November. Like many here, I too have been impressed (wowed even) by the new R8. Still, when I woke up this morning, having slept on it, I felt like the hoohah of yesterday's launch had subsided and that I am still in love with, and much prefer, the 997S. But is there anyone here who now feels that the only tangible reason left for going for a 997S are the rear seats? If so, has it really come to this?! That a thoroughbred sportscar like a 911 uses its rear seats as the deciding factor influencing people to buy it?

The 911 is the only car that can provide a driving experience no other car can deliver.
No other car on this planet feels like a 911, sounds like a 911 and turns like a 911. That is why I'm in love with the car...