Well, I've taken the plunge and my local Porsche dealer have a large cheque in their grubby little hands for my deposit for a 997 Turbo!

This is a big step for me - I've had two Boxster S's over the past few years, and had been on the waiting list for the Vantage V8 but having finally got to drive one I just knew it wasn't for me. Over the past few days I've had soem time in an XK (with an eye to ordering an XKR), a Gallardo (could get an 18-24 month old one for Turbo money) and a 997 Turbo.

My thoughts...

Jag, great car, fantastic GT, but I'm doing few miles now and mainly x-country down twisty lanes - and the car is a bit large to place in these situations

Gallardo - WOW! The power, the noise... but, it'd be coming out of warranty, the attention may be a little too much (got eyeballed by 3 police cars on the test drive!) and whlst I can afford the car, the running costs may make my eyes water.

The 997, like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers... that had been made over by NASA!! Could pootle around when you want, but when you didn't.. well seemed to redefine speed!

So, Pounds10k to Porsche Bournemouth for a Dec 07 build. Yes, you read that right... Pounds10,000 deposit for a years wait, it's mad.. but I get a driving day.. yippee!

Reading offered me an earlier slot in Aug/Sept but I've dealt with Bournemouth for so long they're like family - and they think there's a good case for getting an earlier slot for mid '07. Works for me, don't want the car too soon, just moved house still reeling from that!!!

Only slight fly in the ointment... that damn R8, liking the looks and performance on paper. My local dealer has offered me his #2 car so I've given him a deposit ( a LOT smaller than Porsches and fully refundable) as a placeholder. I can't get to Paris but might try Geneva in the new year - but can I risk that sort of cash on a car I've never driven...?

Ah, it's tough Now, if I get the turbo..... Cobalt.. or Carrera White... or Meteor... or thast pic of Baltic looked nice on the board the other day... normal service has been resumed!!!!!