Quote:
Ronnie said:
well said Chef.

rear engined Porsches are no more doomed than petrol engined cars.

Guys just think about this...
As much as I love the 911.... -It's still the only sports car that delivers a unique driving experience-...it's days are sadly numbered. But I'm not talking about in a few years time, rather in about 15-20 .

Porsche is struggling HUGELY in the horsepower and accerleration wars with its normally-aspirated engines. There is no normally-aspirated Porsche for sale now that can even beat a car like a BMW M5 for example . They gonna have to make their Non-Turbo cars faster to make them more competable. Look at the GT3. That 3,6 litre engine is pushing out a huge ammount of power for its engine size but they wont be able to carry on in that manner. The way I see it there are only 2 ways of increasing power without increasing engine size... Forced induction i.e Turbo/supercharging, or increasing engine size. As they say, Theres no replacement for displacement, so soon Porsche will either have to increase to 3,8 (like they did), then what?? 4litres, 4.2, 4.4??? I dont care what anybody says but once that engine in that back of a 911 gets much heavier it WILL NOT handle well. I know it's been said hundreds of time before but physics can only be stretched to a certain point
The other option is for them to start putting Turbo's in the car's from even 'base' models. It could work, but then what about the King of 911's, the Turbo. Well it wouldnt be THE Turbo anymore...rather just another 911 with a turbo thats faster than the rest... And what about guys that prefer normally aspirated engines to engines with forced aspiration???

Supercharging??? Not so sure??? Maybe to solve the above Turbo delimma they'll Turbo and Supercharge future Turbo's (Like VW's Polo GTi) to differentiate it from lesser models and call it the Porsche 911 Super Turbo

Other cars are catching up gentlemen, and even passed some of Porsche finest The new M3's gonna be a huge threat. I think it will even be a better performer than a Carrera S.
I'm thinking that the 911 will stay, but that it will take on a more GTish role (maybe thats why many have complained that the 997 Turbo feels more like a GT than a sportscar???) and that a Mid-engined coup, like the Cayman will replace it's sports car role. Just my assumption
I'd hate for this to happen but some big change like this will happen sooner or later. It wont be over-night, rather a long-term 'morph' (cannot think of a better word right now ) over years. I also think that the Cayman is a tester to see how the market will accept a car like that...