Quote:
fritz said:

If they pay out less money to pay claims, then only because fewer people have accidents resulting in deaths, injuries, damaged vehicles.

Is that outcome really such a bad outcome for the consumer? I don't think so.

Now you wouldn't get me arriving at the same conclusion if insurance companies were to lobby for all cars to be fitted with speed limiters or a few other bright ideas that they might come up with!

Sure safety is always welcomed. Like you're suggesting about speed limiters... , insurance lobbies would love to pass a law lowering the speed limit to 50 on all US highways!

Since they can't do this they "chip away" at everything else to INCREASE PROFITS to shareholders, not give better service or cheaper rates.

The height of our dash and hence the feel of the cockpit and look of the car has been made higher so pedstrians are safer when they get hit on a street corner! It bothers me that my European-styled Carrera is feeling more and more American (high dashboard) because of this "safety feature."

I wonder how many --- lives--- this higher profile dash has saved? Perhaps it is intended to result in an insignicicant number of shorter hospital stays because of slightly less injury received by pedestrians hitting the higher dash-equipped cars. Better than nothing as far as insurance companies are concerned. Meanwhile we're driving around in cars that look like those Audi TTs or VW beetles!!

Like the mandatory daytime driving lights BS, insurance companies will just keep trying to get their "safety" regulations passed. No matter how effective they really are.

Sorry, rant over... .