Quote:
carlos fromspain said:
Aside from not stopping, the Merc driver is only responsible for agressive driving, but is not responsible for the negligence of the lady driver that made her cause the accident all by herself. They are two different things IMO.

I agree completely but I also think he has a little bit of culpability for the actions of the woman if he got as close as one of the witnesses says. Don't get me wrong, I do think this is an example of the ridiculous "US litigate for everything nothing is MY fault" mentality infecting Germany. However, there is no call for someone to get within 10 feet another cars rear at highway speeds no matter what. It's just not called for. There is a german law that specificies a following distance based on speed, it's a little unrealistic but what he was allegedly doing was unconscionable. That said the woman probably shouldn't have been driving either and he should have stopped to help. I don't understand how the judge determined he didn't see the accident or how he could have not seen it though.