Quote:
69bossnine said:
Quote:
easy_rider911 said:
69bossnine, I assume that in Florida you park quite a bit of the time in a parking lot or car park e.g. if you go to a mall, hotel, sports club, office block etc. If you live in an 'old' city (i.e. basically anywhere where the roads were planned when a coach & horses was the usual mode of transport) then parking will always be tight in small spaces by the roadside.

Paris and Rome are around 2500 years old. London at least 2000 years old. Even though we parallel park all the time - some of us are not too macho to admit that a little bit of help would be welcome.

I really appreciate your insinuation. Thanks.

Actually, most of the better restaurants and shops are downtown, in both the towns I live between. And being relatively small towns around me (70,000-100,000 population), it's almost strictly parallel parking. The spaces are decently sized, but filled with super-crew dually 1-ton horse-trailer-towing trucks, and the rest of the spots are parked sloppily in, such that you're almost always having to squeeze 10 pounds of *&@$ into a 5 pound bag.

And I do not, ever, park my 997 in a parking garage. I'll walk 5 miles if I have to.

So whatever, if you like it, use it, any combination thereof, knock your socks off. I'm only good for my opinion, which is all that was asked.

Hey 69bossnine! I wasn't insinuating anything! I didn't intend to offend you at all. If I did, all I can say is that it was purely accidental and I offer you my apology but I can assure you, it was not my intention to offend.

If anything, I was actually complaining about how pathetically narrow our roads are in Europe.

Your roads are wider. People drive pickup trucks, Hummers Lincoln Navigators and somehow they still fit within each lane. Here in the UK, forget about looking monstrous and grotesque, they actually don't fit in our roads (e.g. if 2 cars try to pass in opposite directions) or, more importantly, in our parking spaces. They overhang a parking space to the point where they occupy two whole spaces.

Parking garages? Sure, I share your concerns and paranoia about dings but there's nothing inferior about the people who have to park in them due to necessity. Here in London, parking garages (which we call car parks) are the norm since space is so limited.

Honestly, I've travelled very very widely through the US. I wish we had the space to build wider roads with nice wide lanes. More and more, we have out of town retail developments (US style) where the stores are located on the perimeter of a parking area with marked spaces. It's just a fact that even expensive malls in the US have this kind of parking arrangement.

Anyway, I was not intending to make any derogatory or condescending remarks. You may have read my posts since I first started loitering here on rennteam and I am simply not one to insult other people. That's just not my way.

Anyway, enjoy your evening. My wife is calling me for dinner...