Quote:
nberry said:
Porsche makes an excellent sport car. That I do not deny. My problem with Porsche as many FORMER Porsche owners have stated to me is Porche has absolutely no concern for its customer base especially with respect to vehicle retained value.

The classic example is the CGT. Initially they were going to only build 750 at a cost of $350,000. They took non refundable deposits for $50,000 and subsequently doubled production and increased the price of the car by 30%. Today they are struggling to sell the 1500 cars and are marketing the crap out of it. One can only sympathize with the prospective owners with what is going to happen to the value of their car. I know they could care less.

Look what they did to the TT market. It was a very hot car with rising value. In their gluttony for profit, they flooded the market with TT's and now owners of these cars are experiencing a free fall in value.

How about the Boxster made to look like the 996? When I had my 996 Cab. I wish I had a dollar for each time someone asked me how I like the cheaper Porsche.

I can go on but you get the picture. Porsche is a terrific car but buy one with the knowledge the manufacturer will exploit it to your detriment.

Finally if my negativity in a small way changes Porsche behavior then it is worth the effort. Unfortunately I do not hold out hope especially with people like yourself who build a shrine to Porsche in your home.

Boy, does that confirm what another member has mentioned before, and I couldn't agree more, I will repeat those wise words since I agree completely: "Most of the queasiness that I hear seems to emanate from those who consider cars as a piece of their investment portfolio. From previous experience with this personality type, I avoid talking to them as much as possible. I got really tired of them about 20 years ago when they were buying Ferrari 288 GTOs, and the like. As I get older, I like them even less. They have a perfect right to their avocation and I don't wish them any ill. I'm not their kind of car guy and I'd prefer not to hang out with them."

Porsche makes cars to be driven and enjoyed, not for investing or posing, there are other brands for that already. Too bad they build too many TT's, so? now more people can enjoy them and they are more accesible. Too bad some people may have confused your 996cab with the boxster and lowered your "image" to the boxsters level, that must have been horrible , afterall you "paid" for a 996cab's image, what a rip off, huh?. Too bad if the CGT does not seem like a good investment, now the poeple who really want to enjoy and drive the car rather than using it as part of their portfolio will be the ones getting them.