Quote:
nberry said:
Porsche makes an excellent sport car. That I do not deny. My problem with Porsche as many FORMER Porsche owners have stated to me is Porche has absolutely no concern for its customer base especially with respect to vehicle retained value.

The classic example is the CGT. Initially they were going to only build 750 at a cost of $350,000. They took non refundable deposits for $50,000 and subsequently doubled production and increased the price of the car by 30%. Today they are struggling to sell the 1500 cars and are marketing the crap out of it. One can only sympathize with the prospective owners with what is going to happen to the value of their car. I know they could care less.

Look what they did to the TT market. It was a very hot car with rising value. In their gluttony for profit, they flooded the market with TT's and now owners of these cars are experiencing a free fall in value.

How about the Boxster made to look like the 996? When I had my 996 Cab. I wish I had a dollar for each time someone asked me how I like the cheaper Porsche.

I can go on but you get the picture. Porsche is a terrific car but buy one with the knowledge the manufacturer will exploit it to your detriment.

Finally if my negativity in a small way changes Porsche behavior then it is worth the effort. Unfortunately I do not hold out hope especially with people like yourself who build a shrine to Porsche in your home.

Well, I have a feeling that Porsche won't have much trouble selling the remaining CGTs in the future. It's quite a big commitment to put in a non-refundable $50k and only to get the car in 2006 at the earliest. I think even serious CGT buyers (unless those with very deep pockets) will tend to put off with the commitment till later. And at this point, people still don't know how good the CGT is. I'm sure the CGT will end up to be a great car, and eventually all the allocation will be taken.