RC, thank you for confirming my doubts about the 'nervous/soft' PASM suspension. This is a major concern for me that ensures I will not buy a 997 TT. I had a less than satisfactory experience with PASM on my 997 C2S that I do not want to repeat.

The standard 996 TT suspension is even worse than PASM (way too soft). However I am very satisfied with the H&R suspension on a track and for everyday AB and back-road use. This set-up really works well and makes the car feel rock solid and handle predictably (and fairly neutral) at the limit of the (PS2) tyres.

Since I cannot get a 997 GT3 before winter (and I have doubts about its power deficit)I may stay with my present car until the 997 GT2 appears next spring. None of the other available cars like the F430 (too bling) or the 996 GT2 Mark 2 (no PSM) inspires me to abandon my 996 X50 at this time.

I am even considering upgrading my car with LSD, more power, BBS lightweight magnesium wheels, racing seats, 9ff exhaust (with volume control button) and keeping it for some time. The interior is perfect, all black with no PCM clutter or silver-painted plastic.

I am well aware that RC and conventional wisdom would advise against putting more money into a 996 Turbo now that the new model is out - but when I look hard at the available alternatives, a properly tuned 996 TT may still be the best all-round sports car on the road.