Quote:
Ed J said:
Just thought I would get your opinion on this (even though I know you'll all say it's madness!)

I'm thinking about selling my 997 Carrera S and buying a BMW Z4M Coupe. I've had my eye on the BMW for a while - I think of it as an M3 with less weight, and whilst the styling is a bit love-it-or-hate-it, I'm firmly in the former camp.

Performance-wise the BMW is going to be slower than the 911, but not by that much. It's even less practical with no rear seats.

My main reason for wanting to change is just that I fancy something different. I've wanted to own a 911 since I was about 12 years old, but now I've had the 997 for 18 months, I'm just finding myself wanting to try something else.

I am limited in terms of buying anything considerably more expensive eg the Turbo (ignoring the waiting list for now!) as I park my car on a London street and anything too "look at me" just attracts the wrong sort of attention.

I have just called round a bit and found that my car has only depreciated by about Pounds10k over the last 18 months - that's despite 15k miles! I'd have lost more if I'd bought a Ford Mondeo!

Anyway, comments, thoughts always appreciated. Also, as I haven't even driven the Z4M Coupe I'd be interested in hearing from those who have.

Cheers,

Ed

I've got a friend who leased a Z4M right around the time I took delivery of my 911S. He likes it, especially given the fact that in the U.S. BMW throws in basic maintenance for 4 years. If you get a similar deal on maintenance in the UK and are still worried about running your 911 outside of the warranty, then maybe the Z4M is for you.

Personally, I think the Z4M is a sporting convertible, not a true sports car, but I am sure others will take issue with this view.

Jim