Quote:
nberry said:
Most of the people in these collisions thought they had control but something unexpected happened which cause the collision. Public streets and highways are fraught with unexpected hazards. No matter how much you respect the car and how well you drive everyday we encounter the unexpected. Fortunately most of the time between the car and driver collisions are avoided. Unfortunately, the margin decreases with speed.

My view is there is no safe place on public streets to test the limits of the car and those that do (including myself) are doing it with our heart and not our head. It is stupid and irrresponsible not only to ourselves but to our families.

The proper venue to test and enjoy our cars is on a track BUT with the appropriate instruction and safeguards. I believe all manufacturers should give mandatory training regarding the dynamic's and handling of high perf. cars as well crisis instruction. The cost should be borne by the buyer of the car. If you want to play you should pay.

After Ben's accident, I have realized the risk of:

1) driving, even the safest streetcar at present, above 30 mph on streets lined with utility poles and whatnot.

2) driving on an FIA approved racetrack that may be modified against FIA regulations and may lack quantity/quality emergency personnel/equipment without due notice to participants.

3) driving/being a passenger in a car on the track that does not incorporate maximum FIA safety precautions.

Mark Webber says even F1 testing/qualifying days are not up to the standards of race-days:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=6&id=2435825