Carlos, your Fort Lauderdale comment (even in a joke) clearly shows me that you don't seem to have gotten past that typical family vacation in Florida. Miami is actually the party capital of the world, not that I really need that at my age.  It has changed a lot over the past 20 years or so, the people have changed, businesses...shopping...food...schools...safety...lots of changes.

I wasn't saying I enjoy crowded beaches (I don't and Sunny Isles Beach beach is never really crowded) but I love the vibrant life in cities like Miami, I hate provincial stuff (which is basically 90% of Europe with the exception of the larger capitals and major cultural hotspots) and every related to mountains and hiking. My wife is the same, so I guess I found my soul mate. indecision

We do not idolize Florida or the US, otherwise we would already be there.  We made a couple of friends there who showed us the "ugly" sides as well and "taught" us that without (or too little) money, Florida (and the US in general) is not the best place to move to. So for now, we are vacationing only but we keep our options open for a possible life there, maybe even only after we retire. The weather here in Germany wears us down, especially in the winter months and mentality and politics over here are also a little bit off our personal "grid". 

As to public schools: Yes, even in Germany, teachers are often leftists and many of the kids in these schools are damaged goods, often coming from divorced parents, immigrants without higher education and whatnot. Still, I think that my kids need to see and "experience" this because this is the only way they can realize how privileged they are but at the same time, they learn that there are different people from different backgrounds and this is important in life in my opinion. The fact that our kids are doing fine and are not taking drugs, drinking alcohol, smoking, etc. proves my point. 

If someone asks now how I know that our kids are good kids: Well, there is a nice saying. Trust is good but control is better. The benefit of parents who are a pharmacist/doctor and computer savvy.   Me and my wife are totally old school in this regard.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)