SciFrog:

That's your opinion. But IMHO it is flawed:
there is no reason to think that a GT3 cabrio improvements vs a GTS cabrio would not be close to the difference between a coupe GT3 and a coupe GTS.

You want to compare a GT3 cabrio vs a GT3 coupe performance and say the GT3 cabrio will not be as good as the GT3 coupe. Of course it won't, but you are completely missing the real relevant question: how will it compare to a GTS cabrio and a turbo S cabrio? How will it compare to 488, McLaren and Huracan open tops?

The problem I think is that you are missing the point of the GT3 concept, its not just a badge to parade around, a GT3 made cabrio would not be a GT3 anymore because the compromises made for it to be cabrio would remove everything that makes the GT3 different from the rest of the 991 variants. You can make a GTS cabrio, that is fine, or a Turbo, but you cannot make a GT3 or GT2 cabrio. Its like making a 911 with a VW diesel engine to save fuel.

You are a coupe guy, fine. But many here would always opt for the extra enjoyment of the open top for an acceptable loss of performance, a gap which has reduced with every new generation of cars. Porsche simply does not offer an acceptable driver oriented exclusive convertible sport car (918 aside).

As far as a GT3 being a poseur car, sorry but to me the 991 normal GT3 owners are the poseurs. Why? Well the RS is a track oriented car, the normal GT3 is more of a daily driver confortable car that can handle occasional track, but tacked with a huge wing and aggressive design. Yet many will never even come close to a track. So who are the poseurs again?

The GT3 is NOT a poseur car, don't know were you got that, the GT3 is my favorite 911 variant in the line up, nor did I say that a cabrio would be a poseur car either just in case, what I said was that a "GT3 cabrio" would be a complete poseur car for the reasons I mentioned above, useless as a GT3.

Porsche would never come out with something like that as they would loose a lot of respect, and that is why you have never seen one or even anyone even mentioning such a car, either from Porsche or even the press ever contemplating such a possibility. You are alone in this for a reason.

I get it you like cabrios and that is completely fine, I do not think less of them at all because they are cabrio, there are hyperperforming supercars that are cabrio, but they have a carbon tub and are designed from the ground up to be opentop.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS