Grant:
noone1:

I don't get the appeal of the mismatch in color. Is it historical or something? You'd never do something like that on any other car, so why on a 911 R is it so great?

I think some old 911 race cars from the 60's had this color scheme for Heuer (unless I only dreamed it)

To me the R looks way too bland  . I have seen now quite a few times two drive around my area . On in GT Silver and one in Gulf blue ( same owner ) . The Gt silver could be a GTS , hardly any difference ...... and a GTS only looks like a GTS to us , for anyone else it looks like a Carrera .  The Gulf blue looks already better on the roads, but just because of the color .  When I saw it first in the dealers parking garage it did not look good . But on the road it is different . 

As a special model, the R needs a bit of funkiness . The Heuer does bring that . 

And if the whole purpose is to blend in and have a 911 that looks like any Carrera , then I rather have a non limited , collectible , undrivable because of value ,  wingless GT3 or GT4 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS